Saturday, September 6, 2014

Just A Quick Detour

    Our next scheduled shop for the day was Versailles for dinner.  However, it came to the attention of the amazing Natalie, mother of Margot, that I had never been to Paris.  She announced we would be taking a detour.
It is quintessential for an appreciation of France.
It was a little out of the way, but it would be worth it.
I am amazed at how small the world can be.  I've met a Rotarian that has visited his brother in Greenville, South Carolina, and several that have visited Charleston.  However, I am very thankful for the kindness of people like Natalie who take advantage of proximity in order to give me an experience I will never forget.

I am very grateful for the opportunity to visit the Effiel Tower!



 The tower is incredibly ornate, and looks like a contradiction of sturdy steel but delicate accents.
Wait a minute, is that the Statue of Liberty?  Actually, it's her twin.  The Statue of Liberty was originally a gift from France.  This Statue of Liberty faces the Atlantic Ocean, and consequently her sister in the New York Harbor.  It was dedicated in November of 1889, three years and a month after the other Statue was unveiled in New York. There is actually a third Statue of Liberty in the Colmar, where the French sculptor Frédéric Auguste Bartholdi was born.
     If I haven't stated it enough, let me say it again to be clear.  I am very humbled and grateful for this experience.  I am having a stellar time and feel deeply thankful to Natalie, Rotary, and those that have helped me have this journey.  Thank you all!  From a Carolina Girl Abroad, thank y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your thoughts!