Thursday, October 9, 2014

Magical World of Disneyland Paris, and Why I Needed to Be There

Disneyland is a marvelous place and enriching cultural destination.  No, really.  I was needed there!
  Once again, I must iterate how grateful I am to my host family for inviting me with them on their annual trip to Disneyland Paris.  I had an excellent weekend in a magical place!  It was my first time at any Disney Park, though I have been trained from a young age to be an adrenaline junkie for roller coasters, thanks to my wonderful American parents. I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say almost every child goes through a Disney phase.  For me, it was Cinderella and pirates.
    However, before we could get to the Disneyland Resort in Paris, we had to take a train from Lille.  The station is completely modern, feels very open and seems well maintained.  Lille is definitely a place I plan on exploring in more depth soon!
 
THE TOP TEN REASONS I NEEDED TO BE AT DISNEYLAND PARIS TO MAKE ROTARY, RELATIVES, ACQUAINTANCES AND ASSOCIATES PROUD:
1)  I tried very hard to explain prohibition and speakeasies while dining in the Chicago Steakhouse themed restaurant. This was my cultural duty as someone who avidly reads historical fiction.  IT WAS ALSO UNDERSTOOD.  THIS DESERVES EMPHASIS THROUGH CAPITALIZATION.


Friday was the birthday of my host father, so we dined at the Chicago steakhouse themed restaurant. I had crème brûlée in Paris, after my waiter set it on fire. I didn't even commit a faux pas, burning alcohol to caramelize the dessert is actually normal.

2) The following morning, I got to see another Castle in France. This was a fulfilling a dire need on behalf of my inner child.
3) I could understand the English everywhere!  No such need ever arose, however, it's a great reason to host an exchange student so someone can at least translate part of a message at major attractions.
 
The first day was spent in the classic part of Disneyland filled with pirates, cyborgs, aliens, princesses, magic, and many thrilling rides.  
4)  I could provide comparison to many roller coasters in the United States.
That is the face of gleeful expectation.  My host mother is realizing exactly what her exchange student enjoys to do, and imagining what I am expecting to happen on the ride if I am ready with my game face.  After all, this is the student who went bungee jumping and zip-lining within the first week on exchange.
  Even if it lacks as many death-defying rides to send adrehnaline pumping, Disneyland has roller coasters different than any I've experienced before because of the timing.  The rides feel like a story.  Even without an actual narrative, Space Mountain had a journey-aspect (appropriate for the ride) in that I was unaware when the end would actually come.  The rapid ride whisked through the dark with dazzling pyrotechnics had multiple points where I was sure it would end, but it would twist into another branch of tract.  This applied to all rides, especially my favorite, Areosmith-themed roller coaster.  
5)  My host mother and I could bond over signed guitars by Areosmith, Pink Floyd, Jim Morrison and U2, while in line for the Areosmith.  Two people of different nationalities found common ground!  I can mark that off the list of ambassadorial duties for the day. 
6) THE ACCOMPLISHMENTS OF A SOUTHERNER AT A WILD WEST SHOW.
I was given a Cowboy hat, could name the Jimmy Buffet and Jonny Cash songs, and spent the evening dazed and confused as to my actual location.  With so many American themed attractions within Disneyland, the level of confusion I've adjusted to being in the beginning of exchange was brought up another level.  Looking at the livestock, cheering for the rodeo professionals from Louisiana, and munching on glorious cornbread... I had to rationalize for a minute, I got off of the Star Wars transporter so it isn't a different world.  The Twilight Zone Tower of Doom may have something to do with this...  I'm somewhere in... Europe, right?  Yes, Paris, that's why Mickey speaks French.

6)  I tried to explain the brilliance of Alfred Hitchcock's the Twilight Zone while in line for the Tower of Doom.  This one will require procuring a French translation for family bonding time. 
7)  I taught my host mother to Cotton Eyed Joe Dance under neon lights in the Disney Square on Main Street.  I'm sure this is exactly what Rotary had in mind when they allowed me to become an exchange student and told me to impart the best of my culture with my host family.
8)  There were pirates and galaxies, far, far away made very, very close!  I'm calling those destinations a part of the adventure.  
9)  A deeper understanding and ability to relate to my host sister.  I believe this face summarizes our mutual excitement for Pirates of the Caribbean and Indiana Jones.

10)  This.


The park was predominantly conducted in French, but there was quite a few American themed attractions and English signs.  Some shows were available in multiple languages, but I was a good exchange student and stayed with my host family for the French attractions.  The Disney Parade and the fireworks show was a mix of French and English songs and characters, but all in the audience were able to experience the manufactured magic!  






I had a brilliant weekend bonding with my host family and made excellent, life-long memories.  
I would say that it was a nice break in a fantasy land, but on exchange, every day is different than expected, and just a little bit of magic.


_____
(A NOTE ON ROLLER COASTERS:  HAVE YOU EVER RIDDEN ONE IN FULL DARKNESS?  I can't recall one without any light as one zips through turns, loops, and leaves the rider thoroughly disoriented in the dark for its entirety back home.  I think I heard someone say they were against most insurance policies in the US.  Let me know in the comments if you have, or which roller coaster you've experienced so many times you no longer need a light to remember the path.  Other comments are appreciated, of course!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your thoughts!